For years Panama has been investing most of its Canal income in mega infrastructure projects. These are the latest:
- Today the American air traffic hub with over 80 direct connections.
- More direct connections than any other South American airport.
- New modern terminal in Panama City to be completed in 2020.
- Further extension of the route network and capacity.
- Panama has the only metro system in Middle America.
- Lines 1 and 2 have cost around 1.5-2 billion US dollars, the entire annual income from the Canal.
- Line 1 was completed in 2014.
- Line 2 was finished in 2019.
- Line 3 will cross the canal and construction will start in 2020.
- Additional lines are being designed.
- The biggest conference and event center in Central America will be completed in Panama City in 2020.
- This will host international congresses and major events in the future.
Cruise ship terminal
- Until now there was only one large cruise ship harbour, on the Caribbean side of the Canal.
- Another cruise terminal in Panama City to be completed in 2020.
- This will lead to many more tourists and a correspondingly higher demand.